American pancake recipe
This is an American style pancake recipe
which surprisingly comes from United States. What other pancakes are there you might ask? There are numerous variations of pancakes throughout the world, most of the variations have to do something with the topping of the pancakes. So we can say that there are basically two the most popular types of pancakes - thick pancakes that people know in America and are also called flapjacks or griddle pancakes and thin pancakes that are mostly called crepes and are popular in France and some other parts of Europe. Both are delicious, trust me:) (you can find out more about pancakes and crepes here
)! So this will be the thick pancake recipe like they make them in North America.
For this American pancake recipe we will need:
4 3/4 oz (135g) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
41fl (130ml) oz milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter or olive oil
some extra butter for cooking
To serve your pancakes you can use many many many many many many (got it:)?) different toppings. If you really want to make them American style then you will use:
Now let's get to work!
1. Take a large bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar.
2, Use another, smaller bowl and whisk together the milk and egg and when you are done mix in the melted butter.
3. Now pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth batter. You can beat the batter using a fork, a hand mixer, an electric mixer (being the easiest of course)... whatever. Mix until you get rid of all the lumps, then let the batter stand for a few minutes.
4. Now - if this would be a griddle pancake recipe you would need a griddle to bake them. But you can get the same result with an ordinary non-stick frying pan so if you don't own a griddle don't sweat it :). Any pan will do, but for the best results use a frying pan that is new - you want your non-stick surface to be intact otherwise the pancakes can tear. And secondly - you want a pan that has a thick bottom that will conserve heat and distribute it evenly. This concludes our pan selection. Now put the pan on medium heat and and a piece of butter to grease it.
5. When the butter is melted and the pan is hot pour the batter onto the pan. How much? To make a round pancake about 4 inches in diameter. If the pan is big enough (or if you have a griddle lol) you can make more pancakes at the same time. The baking powder will make the pancake rise, so it will seem very thick, but this is the way you want it. American pancakes can be 1/2 inch thick.
6. When bubbles appear on the top of the pancake (this usually happens in one minute) flip it over and bake it one the other side until it gets light brown. And then it's done!
7. Bake the rest of the pancakes the same way.
8. Then put them on a plate and cover them with some maple maple syrup. You can also add some extra butter if you like. And smile - you are eating your own American pancake recipe