Dutch Pancake RecipeDutch pancakes
, or pannekoeken
(singular pannekoek), are thinner than American pancakes
and also larger. While they sometimes are served with traditional American pancake toppings such as fruit, sugar or syrup, they also can come with more savory toppings like meat, cheese, and herbs. Beer is also sometimes added to Dutch pancake recipes
to improve flavor and help the batter rise!
While native to the Netherlands, many restaurants in the US serve Dutch pancakes. They are simple to make and use basic baking supplies. This Dutch pancake recipe makes a basic, plain pannekoek that is oven-baked. Following the instructions is a list of some of the popular toppings so you can customize your pancake to suit your taste buds.
Dutch pancake recipe ingredients
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- Dash of salt
- 7 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
You will need a oven safe frying pan, skillet, or 10 inch cake pan, a mixing bowl, and an oven for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Baking time is 25 minutes.
1. The first step is to place your frying pan, skillet, or cake pan into the oven while it’s preheating.
2. Next, beat all three eggs until they become frothy and thick.
3. Fold in milk, salt, vanilla and flour. (Note: “Fold” means to combine a lighter mixture with a heavier one by placing the lighter one on top – in this case its the beaten eggs – on top of the heavier one and mixing them gently together. Continue to stir gently until the two mixtures have just barely been combined.)
4. At this point, if the oven is heated, grease the pan by dropping the butter into your preheated pan and spreading it around with a fork.
5. Your batter should be thin and creamy. Pour it into your preheated and greased pan and shut the oven.
6. Baking should take around 25 minutes. It’s done when it has puffed up and starts to brown.
7. Once it’s done, take it out of the oven and let it cool slightly. Dutch pancakes are usually served in wedges, so cut your pancake, still in the pan, like a pizza. Serve with toppings either on the side or on top.
Dutch pancake recipe toppings
Here are some popular topping suggestions, but remember that Dutch pancakes are a great base for lots of different flavors. Be creative! Invent your own variations off of this Dutch pancake recipe. Some toppings, especially herbs and small meats, can also be mixed into the batter during step 3.
- meats: bacon, ham, sausage, salmon
- dairy: goat, ricotta, desert cheeses, yogurt, ice cream, whipped cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese
- herbs and spices: thyme, cinnamon, ginger, parsley
- sweets: honey, powdered sugar, maple syrup, jam, chocolate sauce, caramel
- fruits, vegetables, nuts: apples, raisins, applesauce, lemon juice, bananas, nuts, strawberries, cherries, peanut butter.
There are just a few ideas of what can be added into the dutch pancake recipe
. Smakelijk eten! (this is how Dutch say bon appétit :) )