Ham and Cheese Pancake Recipe
Pancakes in some form or another have been a part of man’s diet since prehistoric days. As time passed, the ingredients and cooking tools have changed until pancakes have evolved into what we know them as today. Many countries and regions have their own version of the pancake. There is our version here in America that can be plain our mixed with fruit or flavored like gingerbread, to the savory potato pancakes of Germany, boxty from Ireland, and thin crepes from France.
At what point ham and cheese pancakes came along is anybody’s guess. Whoever came up with the first ham and cheese pancake recipe
was a genius. What better way to combine typical breakfast fare with another breakfast side dish and make it irresistible?
The following ham and cheese pancake recipe is pretty standard and pretty easy. All you have to do is stir some ingredients together and cook them as you would any other pancakes.
Ham and cheese pancake recipe ingredients
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh dill*
1 cup of whole milk
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
½ cup of grated cheese like Gruyere, Swiss, or Cheddar
½ cup of chopped ham
1 cup of dry prepared pancake mix
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
*If you are making your pancakes on the spur of the moment, you probably don’t have fresh dill on hand. One teaspoon of dried dill can be used instead.
1. Mix together the dry pancake mix, salt, ham, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, put in the cheese, milk, oil, egg, and dill. Whisk this mixture till it is well combined.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir long enough to mix them well.
4. Let the batter “rest” for about five minutes.
5. Coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat.
6. Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake.
7. When you see the edges start to look golden and bubbles come to the surface of the pancake it is time to flip them.
8. Cook them until the other side is golden. You can peek at the underside to see if they are done by lifting an edge with the spatula.
Ham and cheese pancake recipe variations
The ingredients in a ham and cheese pancake recipe don’t change dramatically from one recipe to another. They are hard to improve upon, but here are a couple of suggestions.
1. Switch the whole milk for low fat milk to make your pancakes a little healthier. If that is your goal, use the Gruyere or Swiss cheese instead of Cheddar. They both have less fat than Cheddar cheese does.
2. Some recipes call for one full cup of ham. You can be your own judge.
This article hasn't been commented yet.